The YMCA of Brandon offers aquatic programs for all ages.
The first national YMCA swimming program was developed in 1906 and since then generations of Canadians have learned to swim in YMCA and YMCA-YWCA across the country. YMCA Canada’s National Aquatic program is built on a base of Healthy Child Development/Healthy Adolescent Development, SAM standards and YMCA core values.
The YMCA swim program goes beyond helping to teach children water safety and to swim. It also emphasizes developing a sense of self, learning to respect and care about others and feeling good about one’s accomplishments. It’s part of the spirit, mind and body approach we’ve used for over 150 years.
What We Do in Aquatics:
- Build Relationships
- Create Opportunities
- Improve Health (in Spirit, Mind, and Body)
How We Do It:
- Build Developmental Assets
- Put YMCA Values into Action
- Focus on the Social Determinants of Health
- Align with Life Stages (Developmentally Appropriate)
- Work through the Model of Change
- Use principles of Harm Reduction
Why We Do It:
A belief in building strong kids, strong families and strong communities.